A reflective statement on the Postcode Project based on Gibbs Reflective Cycle

At the end of September we were handed a brief for a new project called “Postcode” for which we were expected to explore a chosen postcode and come up with an outcome based on it.

My chosen postcode was N1 and my chosen outcome was a fly poster campaign. This included me researching elements for my poster as well as a lot of experimentation.

At first I was extremely nervous about the project because I didnt know where to start, I didn’t know how to think, I didn’t know what elements I wanted to use: nothing. However, during the month of our project I happened to visit the Stanley Kubrick Archive where I stumbled upon this collage made by his nephew to represent a street in a panoramic fashion. That piece of work triggered my thoughts and I immediately started researching more collage artists. I have loved David Hockney’s work for a very long time and I finally had the opportunity to be inspired by him and actually make work like him. At first I thought I wanted to make almost a map like collage but then I decided that what I personally love the most about Angel is the contrast it has in its surroundings where you see traditional buildings as well as newer, more modern stores. And so I decided that I definitely wanted to make my poster symbolic of these things where you first see the traditional collage work but its edited over on photoshop after so there you get your contrast. And the collage work itself was based on the surroundings too.

I further decided that I also wanted to experiment with something else from a previous induction which was the Letterpress. The main difficulty I faced here was not knowing what exactly I wanted to ‘press’. So to overcome this I sat for a couple of hours browsing through fly posters online and started thinking of themes and characteristics required. I realised that what really matters in making a fly poster is having large clear lettering but not too many words otherwise nobody will read it. One has got to keep it short and crisp for the viewer to be intrigued enough to actually visit it. The main point of the fly poster campaign in my opinion is for it to be appealing to an audience and to promote the said postcode. There after I decided I wanted it just to be “N1 & More.” because of its visual appeal, any viewer would be intrigued and would want to visit N1/Angel later.

Scanning and editing the prints from the letterpress was challenging as well since I havent mastered my skills at photoshop yet. However, I did get to experiment a lot and came up with some wonderful outcomes after all, although I struggled with thinking of layouts too.  After my inital prints I realized that my layout doesnt look very poster like and so I reworked on them. Another key characteristic of a fly poster campaign is the bright neon colours therefore I decided that I will take some of my layouts and photocopy them in the monochrome feature at the LCC printer which is quite bright and wonderful. Another thing I tested was the cream paper since I wanted the paper to resemble actual fly poster paper, although I loved the authentic look the cream paper gave: It did take away from the freshness of the poster and hence I decided not to use it for all m layouts but I did use it for a certain design. The testing and printing method helped a lot to develop the final look of the outcome campaign.

I do believe that I could have initially experimented more while collecting primary research and looked up a lot more in depth about the area, however I am satisfied with the work produced as it is all original, with context and thought as well as developed ideas.